...And Found
Wow. Batman was awesome. They packed so much into that 2.5 hours.
Friday in Brussels was very hot and humid. Lugging my backpack and myself from Charleroi to the hostel took almost two hours. And a lot of sweat. I knew that Jordon wouldn't be arriving until around 3pm so I went to the city center - Grand Place - and looked around. I had my first waffle and also grabbed an ice cream cone. I finally tracked down the hostel and Jordon finally arrived. The hostel was actually pretty nice, with keycard entrance and a fairly clean facility. I guess our only complaint would be the lack of social quality in the other residents. We had a street performer who probably tried to eek out 20 euro a day so he could continue to stay at the hostel. Most other people just didn't go out at night and pretty much stayed in either reading or on facebook.
We didn't know what to do for nightlife so we resorted to my guidebook and his map. Both of which lead us to nothing really of value. The first two places in my book were a bust, but the third at least gave us hope. It was an all-night Cuban club just south of the city center. Yet we wanted something better so we trekked off for Le Fuse. Unfortunately it was literally closed down, so we stopped by the city carnival (not sure if it is year round) and Jordon grabbed a waffle before heading back to Havana. Nothing really too notable about the club, besides dancing on the stage. So a pretty dissapointing first night in Belgium.
My new haircut...
On Saturday we got the city tour, unknowingly, on our search for the Musical Instruments Museum. Of course started the day off with a waffle. That museum was actually pretty cool - they gave you infrared headphones that would play what the instrument you were looking at sounded like. The best part of the museum was the cafe on top of it - Du Mim - which had a great view of the city. This just in: Tourists must see cities from atop of things. Second place is seeing it from the bottom.
For dinner we found a little French brasserie which had many beers on tap. We started playing Gin at the table and were instructed that that was not proper. But we got a pencil as a consulation prize. The chocolate on the dessert was bomb, good job Belgians. Jordon had spotted Delirium on the map, which had been recommended to him. This bar has the most beers available in the world, with I believe around 2,400. Once we were at Delirium we realized this is where we should have been the first night. Loads of people and great beer, and we met Bailey "Kickass." Bailey is an Austrailian who enjoys travelling and hand-rolling cigarettes. Now you know I'm no cigarette smoker, but if it is the right situation I will partake in the forbidden activity. I will have to post some of the pictures of this moment in the night, because they are priceless and absolutely telling of the night.
We found a couple other Americans and formed a coation before heading to a recommended club. Arriving at the doors of the club, a fight broke out. Which did not die down easily. Somehow, from somewhere, someone approached with a dresser!!! that they intended to throw through the club window. And there was our Aussie friend Bailey, standing in front of the window trying to stop the guy. So it was borderline riots. In fact, one of the bouncers or club personnel came out and maced the entire group. I didn't get hit directly, but my eyes, nose and mouth were in pain. The club was good fun but more action happened on the way home, when an angry drunk Belgian came after Jordon and I. I guess he thought we were trying to hit on his girlfriend. The guy's friend and girlfriend tried to calm him down but a small scuffle ensued. Jordon and I walked out the victors, that is all that matters. How much do you know about yourself if you have never been in a fight?
After starting Sunday off with a waffle, we headed over to the Royal Museum of Art. The museum was pretty cool but just too massive, especially with only two hours to spend. I trekked it back down the train station to catch the bus to the airport, actually running out of time and having to run in the very hot and humid city. I sat there dripping sweat on the bus but was relieved to know that I was on my way home.
Conclusion: we made the best of a mediocre situation.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home